Thursday, March 4, 2010

Choo Choo Choo...aka Ohio's 3C Corridor


This past Wednesday night, I went down to The Cincinnati Museum Center at Union Terminal. This is quite a place and once my Northeast friends start to visit me (cough, cough), I will be sure to take them to this landmark.

The Museum Center is truly one-stop shopping. You can visit three separate museums housed in one grand old building. I remember stopping at the Museum Center years ago when visiting my grandmother. The two lasting impressions I had were of the amazing art deco façade and the murals in the huge rotunda depicting scenes from Cincinnati’s rich history.


The grandeur of both the exterior and interior really hits you. Every time I drive by Union Terminal, I have that “wow” feeling.

The reason for my visit was not to tour one of the museums but to attend an All Aboard Ohio Cincinnati Chapter meeting. In this previous post, I talked a bit about public transportation and the issue of Cincinnati-Columbus-Cleveland rail travel. I ended my thoughts with a picture of Thomas the Tank Engine, so clearly my post was a tad on the whimsical side. On Wednesday night, however, the conversation I witnessed was anything but whimsical and the reality of increased and improved train travel in Ohio was tangible.

I was absolutely blown away by how much the attendees knew about trains – the history, the politics, the actual mechanics, and more. The members of this growing chapter represented all facets of train travel and spoke so passionately about the importance of this initiative in our local economy. Like anything that costs money, there are very vocal opponents. I’ll readily admit that I've looked mainly at pro-train information on the internet and have only talked with the pro-train people. I may not completely know and understand all of the logistics and politics of trains, but I do understand just how great an improved rail system in Ohio would be. I am biased, having grown up in a region where train travel is a daily part of life. We certainly take it for granted out there, and I hope that all of you cherish ever moment you spend on the MBTA or Metro-North…yeah, right.

The exciting part of the meeting was that we not only met in Tower A – the old control tower during Union Terminal’s heyday – but that we received the promising news that the Cincinnati City Council passed a motion declaring its preference of Union Terminal as the local stop in Cincinnati instead of building a new station outside of the city. To paraphrase notable Cincinnati resident Neil Armstrong, it’s a small step for Ohio trains but one giant leap for Cincinnati trains.

I, for one, am excited to stay on top of All Aboard Ohio’s work and to have that “wow” moment when I walk through Union Terminal’s rotunda to board a train to Cleveland and beyond.

Important Links:

All Aboard Ohio

Linking Ohio

3C is Me!

Environmental Benefits of Ohio Passenger Rail

No comments:

Post a Comment

Would love to hear from you, anonymous or not!