Tuesday, April 13, 2010

Off to the races

This post is dedicated to the "Keeneland 5"


Saturday marked my third visit to Keeneland, a Thoroughbred racetrack located outside of Lexington, Kentucky. My past two visits were in October, so it was nice to be out there on a beautiful spring day.

Oh boy, is this place heaven or what! While the drive down from Cincinnati on I-75 leaves something to be desired (at least immediately outside of the city), the area around Lexington is wonderful...green hills, blue skies, and horses. Seeing as we sat in traffic for a good hour outside of the gates, I got the chance to really admire all of those things. And to watch planes departing and arriving at Lexington Blue Grass Airport. The wait was worth it.

As I mentioned in my previous post, I'm not well-versed in horse racing...at all. I attempted to read some of the literature that they make available at the track to see if I could understand anything about racing and betting, but to no avail. So while I didn't make any bets (I know, I know), I did get to enjoy the sun, lots of Miller Lite, and delicious Kentucky Burgoo.

I marvel at what a big deal Keeneland is to Cincinnati residents. The Kentucky Derby is obviously big as well, and since Louisville is less than 2 hours away, that race is easy enough to get to. Speaking of which, New Englanders take note - do not try to pronounce Louisville phonetically. Instead, try saying "Looavuhl". Most towns in Massachusetts have crazy pronunciations (Ayer, Worcester, Billerica...to name a few), so we have absolutely no right to pass judgment!

While at Keeneland, we ran into several fellow Cincinnatians, proving that it can be quite the social event. Another interesting observation is the demographic. In the clubhouse area, you had men in suits and bow ties, coupled with ladies in dresses and hats. On the general admission side, you had the same...as well as a substantial amount of denim and miniskirts. Keeneland also has a great gift shop, and with the Derby in a few short weeks, there was a Christine A. Moore trunk show with hats galore. I tried on a big red hat, similar to the one below, but figured the price tag of over $500 was a bit out of my range. However, the hats are beautiful, and if I ever do go to Churchill Downs, I would consider purchasing one...at a lower price point.




So while I didn't walk away with some winnings or a big, fluffy hat, I can easily say that it was a fun way to spend a Saturday. Obviously, the company was infinitely more enjoyable:)

Next horse extravaganza: Foxfield 2010 in Charlottesville, Virginia. Giddyup!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Would love to hear from you, anonymous or not!