Wednesday, April 7, 2010

Welcome to Tornado Season

Over the past week, I’ve scratched my head about what to write on Northeast Meets Midwest. Blogging is harder than I thought!

Today, at approximately 12:00 pm, I found my new post. Or rather, I HEARD my new post. At noon, the monthly tornado siren blared through the streets of my neighborhood, Mt. Lookout. These drills are deployed the first Wednesday of every month, and if you are curious to hear one, check out this site. Since I work from my home office, I have heard these alarms before, but it wasn’t until a few weeks ago that I actually knew what they were. In previous months, I immediately looked out the window to see if a fire truck or ambulance was blazing up Delta Avenue. The emergency vehicle never appeared, so I continued with my day. Turns out I should pay attention.

To a native New Englander, tornadoes were almost a fictional type of occurrence with my only exposure to them being from movies like Twister and The Wizard of Oz. In fact, I had to Google tornado to determine the spelling of the plural form - was it TORNADOS or TORNADOES. It appears to be the latter. Instead of funnel clouds, we get hurricanes or nor’easters. In the Midwest, tornadoes do happen, and I’ve noticed that local news stations will often mention that “tornado warnings are in effect for the tri-state area”. Toto, we’re definitely not in New England anymore.


To find out the likelihood of a tornado visiting my neck of the woods, I did some research into the history of Cincinnati tornadoes. Apparently the area was hit by two devastating storms in 1974 and 1999. If we keep with that 25-year gap, we're up for a big one in 2024. Disclaimer: I know next to nothing about meteorology and tornado systems (obviously) so don't take my word for it.


While on the subject of weather, I saw that this weekend's forecast is promising. This bodes well for my tentative trip to Keeneland on Saturday aka horse racing heaven in Lexington, Kentucky. Like tornadoes, horse racing is a new thing for me, even though it certainly exists on the East Coast. Anyone heard of the Preakness or Saratoga Springs? I'm sure to have some good commentary and pictures after this weekend and hopefully a fatter wallet.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Would love to hear from you, anonymous or not!