Monday, May 10, 2010

Shall We Dance

"You see, every once in awhile I suddenly find myself dancing" - Fred Astaire


Not really about Cincinnati or Boston but I do want to wish Fred Astaire a happy birthday on what would have been his 111th!

I've been hooked on Fred ever since that first viewing of Top Hat years and years ago. I fully give my Dad credit for making that introduction particularly as it was a tough sell, initially. A black and white movie with singing and dancing isn't exactly at the top of an elementary student's movie list. However, Dad successfully coaxed me into watching when he promised that Ginger Rogers would be wearing some dresses that could "twirl". They did.

I've done a lot over the years for Fred, including the following:

1. Scoured used book stores and Ebay for out of print Fred-focused books, including his autobiography.

2. Treked up to Chatsworth, CA (aka The Valley) from Los Angeles this past summer to find his grave. After combing the desert-like cemetery for about 45 minutes, we finally stumbled up on it. Thanks, Jenny!

3. In pre-DVD days, I would study the New York Times TV schedule and record all Fred movies on VHS...no matter what time of day! I'm happy to say that I probably captured about 25 of his 30 musicals on tape. I'm sure they are collecting some major dust back in Connecticut right now.

What can I say, he was the best! A singer, dancer, actor, father, husband, golfer, humanitarian. You know that question that people always ask? You know, the one where you can have dinner with anyone (dead or alive)? Yup, I never have to think twice about that.

I leave you with a picture taken this past summer in Hollywood. Fred and I aren't dancing cheek to cheek here, but rather, palm to palm.

1 comment:

  1. Hurray! Love this! those pics are great....
    JENNY

    ReplyDelete

Would love to hear from you, anonymous or not!