Wednesday, May 19, 2010

A trip to Kentucky: Maifest 2010

On Sunday, I traversed the Ohio River and found myself in Covington, KY. Cincinnati readers may be shocked (or not) to hear that many outsiders do not realize that Kentucky (aka The South) is immediately adjacent to Cincinnati. Meaning, right across the river. Here's an analogy - Cincinnati : Covington as Boston : Cambridge. Make sense?

There's a great area of Covington called MainStrasse, an historic district with obvious ties to the rich German heritage of the area. When I have a free weekend and the weather is better, I'm going to make a more substantial visit to MainStrasse. Like Cincinnati, the village is home to many annual festivals, including Oktoberfest and Maifest - the latter is the festival I visited on Sunday. As you probably guessed, Maifest is an annual festival held in May to celebrate the beginning of spring. Too bad that the weather was more reminiscent of the beginning of winter! Like any festival, food is the main attraction (at least for me), so I thought I would share the menu and some pictures (please forgive the photo layout and quality). Bon Appetit!

What I ate/drank at Maifest 2010:

Fried Goetta balls
Crawfish with lots of seasonings
Boneless barbecue ribs
Kentucky Ale
Christian Moerlein IPA
Deep Fried Oreos

No comments:

Post a Comment

Would love to hear from you, anonymous or not!