Monday, February 8, 2010

Getting comfy with comfort food

In preparation for more snow, I thought I would share one of my favorite things about cold weather living: Comfort Food! As I type this, a batch of hamburger noodle bake is cooking in the oven and will provide sustenance for several meals this week. With the temperatures taking a nosedive tonight, this meal is the perfect way to stay cozy and full. Best of all, it reminds me of home and my family...comfort food, indeed!

Hamburger Noodle Bake
1 lb ground beef, lean
1/2 cup chopped onion
2 8-oz cans tomato sauce
1 tsp sugar
3/4 tsp garlic salt or powder
1/4 tsp pepper
4 cups uncooked egg noodles
1 cup cottage cheese
1 8-oz package cream cheese, softened
1/4 cup sour cream
1/4 cup green pepper
1/4 cup parmesan cheese, shredded

Brown meat and onion until meat is lightly browned and onion is tender. Drain fat. Stir in tomato sauce, sugar, salt, garlic salt/powder, and pepper. Remove from heat.

Meanwhile, cook the 4 cups of noodles in boiling water according to package instructions. Do not overcook! Drain and set aside.

Combine cottage cheese, cream cheese, and sour cream in small bowl. Cream together with chopped green pepper.

Assembly
In a casserole dish (I like using this 2-quart souffle dish from Crate and Barrel) spread 1/2 the noodles in the bottom; top with 1/2 the meat sauce. Spread all of the cheese mixture on top. Top with the rest of the noodles followed by the meat sauce. Sprinkle parmesan cheese on top and bake at 350 for 30 minutes...or until warm and bubbly. Depending on who's eating this, you can get 4-5 (heaping) or 8-10 (more modest) servings. Great for dinner parties and wonderful with a simple green salad, crusty bread, and your favorite bottle of red wine.

What's YOUR favorite comfort food?

2 comments:

  1. LASAGNA!!!! Ha Ha Ab! I just keep hearing Emma grumbling about "if I see one more freakin' lasagna!" She was very opinionated about that, but it's still my fave comfort food! Happy V Day!! xo

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hahaha, that's right! I remember we got TONS of lasagna when Nat broke his leg. This recipe is different in that it isn't as tomato-y as lasagna and doesn't use that type of pasta. It's much more meaty...just the way Emma and I like it:) xoxo

    ReplyDelete

Would love to hear from you, anonymous or not!