Friday, February 12, 2010

How to beat the high cost of living...


...move to Cincinnati, where the living is good AND cheap!

It is refreshing to live in a place where my paycheck can cover more than just rent, utilities, and the occasional night on the town. There are statistics about cost of living indexes and such, but I'm simply going to highlight some real-life data here:

1. Rent: My last apartment in Beacon Hill was less than half the size of my current apartment in Mount Lookout. The rent in BH was also more than two times the price I pay now. Granted, I did choose to live in one of the priciest areas in Boston, but the experience of living in the heart of the city and next to John Kerry was priceless...I think.

2. Dry Cleaning: On my first trip to the dry cleaners out here, I dropped off one bedspread, two sham pillowcases, one dress, one top, one pashmina, and one pair of trousers. The cost? A whopping $17! In Boston, that order would have pushed $50. Makes me want to get dirty!

3. Parking: There are meters outside of my ML apartment, and when I occasionally park there, one quarter will get me one whole hour! A quarter in Boston will probably only buy you 15 minutes. Incredible!

I realize that with the exception of #1, these are somewhat trivial. However, I can't hide my excitement and surprise when accustomed to paying more. It's the little things, right? And boy are those little things little...cost-wise.

Hope everyone has a very nice Presidents' Day weekend. Given ALL the money that I'm saving on living expenses, I'll try to go out and pump some $$$ into the local economy. Hello Prez Day weekend sales! With such a big apartment now, I need to buy more furnishings, accessories, and nick-nacks.

Wait, did I just defeat the purpose of living in a more affordable area by adding a new and costly line item to my monthly expenses - Decorating?

1 comment:

  1. What dry cleaner do you go to? That price is awesome.

    ReplyDelete

Would love to hear from you, anonymous or not!